DS Lab. in Cybersecurity Group
Dr Dan Dongseong (DS) Kim
at The University of Queensland
Associate Professor (equivalent to UK Reader or US full professor)
School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ITEE),
Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology (EAIT),
The University of Queensland (UQ), Brisbane, Australia.
If you are interested in Cybersecurity and looking for a supervisor
(aka, principal advisor in Australia)
for your Ph.D., Master, or Honours study, please send me an email.
I am also seeking for motivated undergraduate students who want to do research,
please come by my office (Building 78; room 605).
I am always open and happy to discuss with you about the research topics.
If you are looking for a PostDoc research fellow or visiting scholar position,
please email me for details.
Dr Dan Dongseong Kim
General Purpose South (78) Room 605
Phone: +61 7 336 54534
Email: dan DOT kim AT uq DOT edu DOT au
On-going Research Projects
- SDN based MTD
sponsored by The US Army Research Lab
- IoT security
sponsored by New Zealand MBIE
- Security Risk Modeling and Assessment of Cloud Computing
funded by the Qatar National Research Fund
- Attack and Defense Simulation
funded by the Agency for Defense Development (ADD) in Korea
- Cyber Security modeling and analysis
- Moving Target Defenses
- Internet of Things security
- Cyber Resilience modeling and analysis
- Blockchain and security
- Interpretable, Dependable, Secure ML/DL
- Availability and Performability modeling and analysis of Software Defined Networking (SDN), Cloud/Data Centers
- Intrusion Detection and Response using Artificial Intelligence (AI)
including deep learing techniques, AI planning, interactive multi-agent systems, game theory
- Security for Cyber Physical Systems including autonomous/driveless vehicles, drones, etc.
HDR Students (PhD students) at UQ
Number of current students: 3
Number of future students: 5
- Kok Onn Chee (PhD student, UQ, I am co-supervisor): IoT security.
- Minjune Kim (Ph.D student, to join UQ): Moving Target Defenses.
- Walt Lin (PhD student, part-time at UQ): IoT security gateway.
- Ke He (Ph.D student, to join UQ): Interpretable, Dependable, and Secure IDS.
- Chun Yong Moon (Ph.D student, to join UQ): AI for cybersecurity.
- Diksa Goel (Ph.D student, to join UQ): Adversarial Machine/Deep Learning.
- Hyo Choi (Ph.D student, to join UQ): Adversarial Machine/Deep Learning.
- Jinglu Xu (Ph.D student, to join UQ): Adversarial Machine/Deep Learning.
Masters/Honours students at UQ
Number of current students: 8
- Weilun Liu (Master): IoT security.
- Kesang Tshering Dorjee (Honours): Security Visualization.
- Thanh Tung Vo (Honours): Performability for Moving Target Defenses.
- Xiatong Mo (Honours): Distributed Vulnerability scanners
- Zhibin Huang (Master): Attacker and Defencer modeling
- Raymond Mogg (Honours): Evasion attacks against NIDS
- Khoa Dang Nguyen (Honours): User Interfaces Development for HARM
- Naehyung Kim(Honours): User Interfaces Development for HARM
- Dr Tongil Jang (KAERI, Korea), Apr 2019 - Mar 2020
- Sungwoo An (PhD student, SNU, Korea), Aug 2019
- Hyunjun Kim (ME student, SNU, Korea), Aug 2019
Postgraduate Students in New Zealand
# of students: 4
- Hooman Alavizadeh (Ph.D student, Massey Univ., Auckland): Combination of Moving Target Defenses for Cloud
- Dilli P. Sharma (Ph.D student in CSSE, UC): SDN based Moving Target Defense
- Bilal Isfaq (Ph.D student, UC): Design, Implementation and Evaluation of Network Level Defenses for IoT
- Xiran "Harry" Zhang (MSc student in CSSE, UC): Deep Learning for Intrusion Detection
Postgraduate students I am co-supervising at KAU in South Korea & other country
# of students: 3
- Seongmo An (Ph.D. student, KAU, Korea): Automated Security Analysis using Cloud Computing.
- Taehoon Eom (Ph.D. student, KAU, Korea): Security for Software Defined Networking
- Julio Medonca (Ph.D. student, FUP, Brazil): Dependability for Data centers
- Simon (Enochson) Yusuf (Ph.D, Computer Science, UC, Dec 2018; Postdoc at UQ to start): Dynamic Cyber Security Modeling and Aanlysis
- Kieran Morris (Ph.D student in ECE, UC): Reliability and Resiliency Analysis of Smart Grid (Ph.D. ECE, UC 2018; Tait communications, NZ).
- Mengmeng Ge (Ph.D, Computer Science, UC 2018; Lecturer (US Assistant Prof., tenured) in Cybersecurity at Deakin University): Graphical security modelling and assessment for the internet of things.
- Iman Elmir (Ph.D., Hassan 1st Univ. Morocco, 2017): Security Modeling and Analysis of Intrusion Tolerant Data Centers
- Jin B. Hong (Ph.D., Computer Science, April, 2015, & Postdoc 2016-2018, UC; Lecturer (US Assistant Prof., tenured) at The U. of Western Australia): Scalable and Adaptable Security Modeling and Analysis. First employment: Postdoc, UC, NZ, Currently a Lecturer at U of Western Australia
- Nguyen Tuan Anh (Ph.D., August 2015, KAU): Availability Modeling and Analysis of Data Center Systems using Stochastic Reward Nets. First employment: Postdoc, Kunkuk University, Korea
- SeulKi Lee (Ph.D., 2014, KAU): Reliability and Availability Analysis for UAS by Using Hierarchical Fault Trees and Continuous Time Markov Chains. First employment: Korea Institute of Geoscience And Mineral Resources, Korea
- Sang Min Lee (Ph.D., 2012, KAU): Modeling and analysis of lightweight Intrusion Detection Systems, First employment: SK telecom Co., Ltd. -> Current: Telecommunications Technology Association of Korea (TTA)
- Cole Dishington (MSc student in CSSE, 2019, UC): Simulation for SDN based Moving Target Defense
- Paul Kim (MSc in MADS in Math department, 2018, UC): Blockchain and security
- Shamik Santra (MSc, 2017, UC): Semi-automated generation of networked vulnerability-attack countermeasure trees for security analysis
- HeeSoo Kim (M.E., 2016, KAU): Android Malware Detection using Machine Learning, First employment: Penta Security Systems Inc., Korea
- Suhan Kim (M.E., 2016, KAU): Development of New Security Metrics, Current: PhD student at KAU.
- FangCheng Jia (M.Sc. in CSSE, 2015, UC): A Security Assessment Framework for Software Systems
- Hyeongjun Jin (M.E., 2015, KAU): Security Analysis of Network Separation Mechanisms
- Miseon Wi (M.E., 2014, KAU): Security Evaluation of Smart Grid using Attack Countermeasure Trees. Current: Hyundai Mobis security team.
- There are more but I have not listed them here.
Honours & undergraudate interns
- Ke He (CS Honours student in CSSE, 2018, UC): Deep Learning for Malware Detection
- Amelia Samandari (CS honours student, 2017, UC): IoT security focusing on Mobility
- James Spicer (CS honours student, 2017, UC): Distributed Vulnerability Scanning for Safelite
- Nic Robinson-O'Brien (SE honours student, 2017, UC): SPNP improvement
- Monty Anderson (Software Engineering Honours student in CSSE, 2017, UC): Visualisation of Hierarchical Attack Representation Models
- Matthew Ruffell (Computer Science Honours student in CSSE, 2016, UC): Applying Bytecode Level Automatic Exploit Generation To Embedded Systems
- Sophie He (undergraduate intern in CSSE, 2017, UC): Security tool development